Saving Recipes and Sessions

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

Saving Recipes and Sessions

Postby splashmike » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:38 am

I just bought the program, but am confused on how to save and view recipes for use in future sessions. I'm also not sure how to see a log of my brewing sessions. For example, I also own Beersmith and I have a file where my recipes are stored which I can then access for use on a particular brew day, which becomes the brew session with data recorded for that particular session. I can then later review my brew sessions in a brew log folder. How is this accomplished with Beer Tools Pro?
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby Brant » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:13 pm

As I understand it from messages I remember posted several weeks ago, a recipe browser is on the enhancement request list. For now, you can save your recipe/session files in whatever organizational directory structure you prefer. My personal preference is to simply name the files with the brew date and recipe or style name (e.g., "20070101 - Brown Porter" for the hypothetical brown porter I'm brewing today). Then, using the File / Open browse window, I can scroll through all of my previous sessions, sorted in date order. That's the same approach I took back when I was using ProMash.

Anyway, if I want do the same (or similar) brew later, I just open the old session, and then use File / Save As to create a new file, which is an identical copy of the old file. Then I edit the new file however I see fit.

I hope this helps.
Brant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby slothrob » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Sounds like a good system. I've been putting the dates after the name so that they organize first by recipe, then by date made.

I also break the beers into two folders: "Recipes", for the original recipe as I found it, this gives me a shorter list to search thru. Then "Made Beer", for the list of all the recipes I've made with all the real world changes I made for that brew day, those are then organized by dating the name.

I suppose I'll have to rethink it all when logging is added to the program.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby splashmike » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:37 pm

OK. Some good suggestions. Its unfortunate that this newly developed program doesn't have these features built in, but hopefully the developers will provide this later. Thanks.
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby KenBoy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:30 pm

I've set up a whole bunch of templates which I combine to create a session for when I brew.

I store all recipe templates in a "recipes" folder, mash schedule templates in a "schedules" folder and sessions in a "sessions" folder in the file system.

For an APA for example I open a new session, load in the mash schedule template e.g. Single Infusion (Batch Sparge) and then the recipe template for the APA. I then save the merged file in the session folder with a date/time stamp in the filename.

All the templates seem to merge together into the session properly (I haven't had any problems) and is very flexible because I can tailor the session easily for different recipes and mash schedules.

It was a little painful to set up initially because I had to make sure the templates only contained things they should e.g. no style or ingrediants in a mash schedule template, then test they all merged correctly.

I'd be interested to hear if the way I'm using templates is what the BeerTools designers had in mind, I didn't get a very clear picture from the documentation :wink:
KenBoy

Postby slothrob » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:12 pm

That sounds like a very good use of templates, to me.
A very inventive aproach. I do something like this by saving schedules (including water profiles and equipment) as templates. I then load a blank page, type in a recipe, apply a schedule template appropriate for that recipe, edit the schedule info so that it will work, then save that as a recipe. On mash day, I open up the recipe, edit any info specific to that session, then save that in a Made Beer folder.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby notbob » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Those both sound great. I like hearing how everybody else is making things work for them. I love this program so far. I know it will grow. That's the best part.

I never thought about using templates that way. I like the idea of setting up mash schedule templates. Thanks.
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Return to BeerTools Pro General Topics