Suggestion re display of infusion temps

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Suggestion re display of infusion temps

Post by billvelek »

I would like to suggest either a printer preview command or else modification of the 'Schedule' display (not the graph), so that users can easily see what the exact temperature of their infusion water should be. I realize that this info appears on any printout, but what if I don't have a printer, or runout of ink, or have a printer problem? It is hard to tell from the graph what the precise infusion temp is. Sure, I can go to each infusion step and use the 'Edit' command, but one comprehensive display would be more convenient, and it looks like there is enough room to fit one more column in the display. No big deal, though. This is just more polish.

Thanks for a GREAT program. Cheers.

Bill Velek
Brant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Brant »

I'd vote for it to appear in the Schedule list as a new column, or replacing the Thickness column, which I don't think is as important for quickly referencing after initially setting up the recipe. I think infusion water volumes and temperatures, and final target temperatures are critically important to know while brewing, and should therefore be displayed in the list on screen AND in the printout. Currently, the printout is opposite, and I have to write the target temperature for my rests on the printouts, so I have them when brewing (away from my computer).

I agree about the great program. The more I use it, the more I like it.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

Brant wrote:I'd vote for it to appear in the Schedule list as a new column, or replacing the Thickness column, which I don't think is as important for quickly referencing after initially setting up the recipe. I think infusion water volumes and temperatures, and final target temperatures are critically important to know while brewing, and should therefore be displayed in the list on screen AND in the printout. Currently, the printout is opposite, and I have to write the target temperature for my rests on the printouts, so I have them when brewing (away from my computer).

I agree about the great program. The more I use it, the more I like it.
Yes, Brant, I noticed that the Target temps are missing from the printout, too, and have been writing that in with a pen after printing out the recipe to work with in the kitchen. I had meant to mention that before (or maybe I have and don't remember). I also agree that target temp on the screen display is more important than thickness, so if there isn't room to add a new column, I'd vote for replacing 'thickness' with 'target'.

One other suggestion about the 'Schedule' on the printout. I think that the 'running total' of time should be ajusted to display differently, or perhaps give the user the option of selecting how it will be displayed; it would also be easier to follow if each step occupied a single-line, with a blank line between each step. Right now it seems to display the time at the END of each step rather than at the beginning; for example, using the pre-set for 'Two Step Infusion', the initial time is 18 minutes -- but I would prefer it to be zero-hour when I start, and then the next step would be at 18 minutes. Not that big of a deal, but I find myself having to take a second and third look at time just to be sure (maybe it's the homebrews while I'm brewing :D ), when it would be so much simpler to set it up as follows:

00:00:00 Mash In; Liquor: 7.19 gal; Strike: 130.0 F; Target: 125.0 F

00:18:00 Protein Rest; 30.0 min.

00:48:00 End Protein Rest; Heat: 10.0 min; Target: 130.0 F

00:58:00 Infusion; Water: 65.75 gal; Strike: 178.8 F; Target: 156.0 F

... etc., etc. Just my opinion. I think it would be easier to follow, and make the printout slightly shorter, too.

Cheers.

Bill Velek