What is purpose of "Heat Output" in the "Mash

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What is purpose of "Heat Output" in the "Mash

Post by billvelek »

What is the purpose of both the "Heat Output" and "Heat Duration" settings in the "Mash In" edit box? I have not found anything in the User's Guide which explains or even mentions them. Since my mash tun (ice chest) does not provide heat, I've tried setting them to zero, but I get an error message when trying to set "Heat Output", and have to set it to .1% instead, which is not accurate.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Brant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Brant »

Do you have a Heating Vessel and Heat Source set in that Mash In window? I assume that the Heat Duration is the amount of time your Heat Source will bring your Liquor Volume to the Strike Temp in the Heating Vessel, I guess assuming that the water starts out at the Grist Temp. With all of those variables, though, I admit that I have not taken the time to confirm my beliefs through measurements. But ballpark, the Duration does seem about right for my burner heating water in my keg kettle, which I then dump into my cooler mash tun.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: What is purpose of "Heat Output" in the "

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:What is the purpose of both the "Heat Output" and "Heat Duration" settings in the "Mash In" edit box?
These should reflect the heat source used to heat your strike water.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff