Setting steeping / extract addition times

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
creoguy

Setting steeping / extract addition times

Post by creoguy »

I just purchased Beertools 1.0.14 and was trying to enter in my existing recipes. Right now I'm unable to set my specialty grains as "Steep (Kettle)" or when the extact additions are. The only time the "stage" selection is not grayed out is for hops. This appears to be throwing off my color and IBU calculations.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Setting steeping / extract addition times

Post by wottaguy »

Hello Creoguy and welcome!

The Stage area is used only for Hop additions and not for specifing your mashing or partial mashing/extract timetable or schedule. Work up your recipe and make sure you have all additions in the indredients panel. Then if you look to your FAR RIGHT under the Color Indicator Glass to the right, you will see a dropdown box that is labeled Display. This box switches the info window to different views of beerTools and in the list in the drop down box you will have the the view of Schedule. This is where you specify your mash routine and your requirements for your brewing schedule. You'll have to experiment with it for a while to understand how it works, but it is not too difficult to figure out. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
I hope that I was able to shed some light and point you into the right direction concerning your question.

Ron
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
creoguy

Post by creoguy »

I guess I was just expecting something for specifying early and late addition of extract and a plain steeping option for specialty grains.

The information for the schedule data looks to be more for a AG brewer then for extract brewers. What research I've done says that by doing late addition of the extract will help lighten the color, keep caramelization down and also help your hop utilization by keeping the gravity low for the majority of the boil. I can try and create a schedule but I can't see how it will not have any effect on the calculations for the SRM or IBU's.

I've been using a demo version of BeerAlchemy and it has a boil duration option for extracts and an in mash/steeped option for specialty grains. The recipe in BeerAlchemy gives me an IBU of 39-56 depending on if I do an early or late addition for the majority of the extract. BeerTools is giving me an IBU of 44. So as you can see, this has the potential of becoming quite frustrating when trying to dial in the IBU that I'm looking for to meet a specific style. :x
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I think you have a valid point.

Post by billvelek »

Welcome to the group, creoguy. Although I haven't used bulk extracts in awhile, who knows, ... I might try it again. Anyway, I see your point, and that's good info to know about late addition of extract; I was never aware of that. Jeff, I suggest that you look into this and incorporate it if it makes a difference; we need for BTP to be just as appealing to extract brewers, because we all want this to be a great success and the greatest brewing software ever.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I agree...

Post by wottaguy »

I see what you guys mean about this topic. The current mash schedule parameters do seem to be geared for AG users. I feel that there should be an additional option(s) listed under the Schedule tools for specifying type of mash AG..partial (mini-mash) or extract..then have the app display the revelent dialogs and settings that pertain to the particular brewing method. Maybe there should also be an area called Boil Kettle Schedule as well....just a few thoughts!

Ron
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: I agree...

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:I see what you guys mean about this topic. The current mash schedule parameters do seem to be geared for AG users. I feel that there should be an additional option(s) listed under the Schedule tools for specifying type of mash AG..partial (mini-mash) or extract..then have the app display the revelent dialogs and settings that pertain to the particular brewing method. Maybe there should also be an area called Boil Kettle Schedule as well....just a few thoughts!

Ron
It is hidden right now, but code for the 'Boil' step has been in BTP even before 1.0.1. :wink:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bemert

Post by bemert »

Well - common Jeff, waiting for a rainy day to unleash those lines of code??
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

I agree... I normally do partial mashing as well as stepping so it would be nice to have the option available.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Jeff,

Just looking through some old posts as I'm planning on an extract & specialty grains brew tomorrow. Did these lines of code ever get released?

Later,
jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:Just looking through some old posts as I'm planning on an extract & specialty grains brew tomorrow. Did these lines of code ever get released?
Sorry, been too busy squashing the all too elusive bugs. But I think we are getting that all worked out. I'm looking forward to pressing ahead once again.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Good to hear Jeff. Like Bill said I think you want this to appeal to all brewers.

Later,
jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)