Can't save or open files

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
jc

Can't save or open files

Post by jc »

I just downloaded BeerTools Pro for the PC and under the File menu Save, Save As, and Open are disabled no matter what I do. Even if I fill out all of the fields I can't save anything. For $25 I would expect to be able to save sessions to my hard drive and open them later.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Can't save or open files

Post by jeff »

jc wrote:I just downloaded BeerTools Pro for the PC and under the File menu Save, Save As, and Open are disabled no matter what I do. Even if I fill out all of the fields I can't save anything. For $25 I would expect to be able to save sessions to my hard drive and open them later.
Hmm, it sounds like it is running in demo mode. Are you running version 1.0.11? Take a look at the Help->About BeerTools Pro window. There was an issue with version 1.0.10 that caused a problem with license validation.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Can't save or open files

Post by jeff »

jc wrote:I just downloaded BeerTools Pro for the PC and under the File menu Save, Save As, and Open are disabled no matter what I do. Even if I fill out all of the fields I can't save anything. For $25 I would expect to be able to save sessions to my hard drive and open them later.
Ok, I think I know what is happening. The license file on your hard drive has to be deleted. I am trying to get an update online tonight that will let you enter your license key again so the license file gets rewritten.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jc

Post by jc »

It's 1.0.11 that I'm running. I'm glad to hear it's just a bug. I thought maybe I had to buy a GOLD membership to save files or something. Thanks!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

New menu item

Post by jeff »

jc wrote:It's 1.0.11 that I'm running. I'm glad to hear it's just a bug. I thought maybe I had to buy a GOLD membership to save files or something. Thanks!
In 1.0.12 I added a new menu item Help->Enter License Key or BeerTools Pro->Enter License Key (Mac) where you can initiate the registration sequence to enter your license key again. This should rewrite your license file, releasing you from demo mode. If it doesn't work, please let me know; thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jc

Post by jc »

Thanks, but it still doesn't work. On the website it still says my membership is a TRIAL membership, could that have something to do with it?

Anyway, tomorrow when I have time I'll install it on a different Windows machine (one I didn't install the trial version on) and see if that works. Thanks.
nifty

Post by nifty »

Hi

I purchased and downloaded btp ver 1.010 yesterday and had the same problem.

I have downloaded and installed ver 1.013 and reentered my license key, and although it now shows the correct version number and license key in Help/About BeerTools Pro, it still shows my copy as a trial version that will expire in 28 days and I cannot open or save files.

My pc is windows.

Regards

nifty

edit - oops, it looks like this problem is being discussed in another thread.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Save As command not working right

Post by billvelek »

Rather than start a new topic, felt that this is sufficiently related to place it here.

I'm running release 14 now, with WindowsXP et al. I can now open a recipe and save it on my computer. To test the other file commands, I decided to save the same recipe under a different name, i.e., "Old Grandma's Amber Ale" as "Old Grandma's Amber Ale-2". When I click 'Save As', it opens the folder that I'm using for my recipes and displays the few that I have already saved. I then click on the original file name to place it in the text box for the new file name, and then I add "-2" to the end of it, and then click "Save". "Save as type" remains unchanged, i.e., "BeerToolsPro (*btp; *xml). Everything seemed normal. I then went to "Open" and only the original files that I had saved previously were there, including the original version of "Old Grandma...", but not the second version that I attempted to create using the "Save As" command. I also started a new session before trying to Open it, but no dice. When I tried to "Save As" a second time, BTP said that there is already a file by that name -- even though it is not displayed in that folder. If it has been saved anywhere, it obviously is in a different folder, and that's not how it should work, nor should it prevent me from saving in a different folder.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jc

Post by jc »

Version 1.014 works. I had to use the "Enter License Key..." thing in the Help menu (didn't ask me during install even though I presumably completely removed 1.012 from my system using the Control Panel), and then Open and Import were enabled but not Save or Save As. Then I closed it and started it up again and everything works great (including Save and Save As). Thanks a bunch!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Attention: JC and Jeff

Post by billvelek »

jc wrote:snip ... everything works great (including Save and Save As). ...
JC: my 'Save As' is still not working correctly; see my post immediately before your last post in this thread. What OS are you using?

Jeff: Here is some insight into the problem I described in my last post in this thread. I not only restarted the program per JC's comment that it worked for him after doing so, but I also rebooted my computer and it still isn't working correctly. So I then used Windows Explorer to try to find out what happened to those test files and I found them in the same folder as the others except that they have the file type of just "File" rather than of "BTP File". So I went back into BTP and used the "Save As" command again, but this time when I typed in the file name, I manually added the extension ".btp" and it works like that. However, I would suggest that you fix your program so that the extension is added automatically.

Jeff: More insight. The first field on the session screen is not labeled, and I assumed it is for the name of the beer but not necessarily the file name. However, I finally noticed that if I change the name of the beer on that first field and then "Save As", it works correctly without the need for me to manually insert the .btp file-extension. While it therefore 'sort of works okay', the problem is the confusion this causes since I just spent hours trying to figure out what was happening. Probably will happen with someone else, too.

Jeff: Suggestion. Have a 'read-only' default setting on recipes downloaded from BTP. That way if I start out with someone else's recipe, make a few experimental changes along with a name change, and then hit "Save", I won't overwrite the original recipe. I found out while experimenting that as the first field is changed, the title bar for the window also changes, which leads one to believe that when doing a "Save", that it will be under the name shown in the title bar. NOT SO. Save overwrites whatever file you opened, regardless of what is shown in the window title bar.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jc

Post by jc »

Hi Bill, I'm running Windows XP SP2.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Are our results different?

Post by billvelek »

jc wrote:Hi Bill, I'm running Windows XP SP2.
Same here, and I have all the updates, etc., so I can't see how BTP would operate differently on your ocmputer than mine. Just so Jeff and company don't get mixed messages ... (we know they already have plenty to do and don't need any confusion) ... would you mind checking your computer to see if you can duplicate the problems I am encountering?

Thanks for any additional clarification you can provide.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

billvelek...

I think i see also what the problem is...

If you go to "Save As", and you type in a filename that DOES NOT have an extension on it, it will not put an extension on it, and it will be saved exactly as you type it. Then, you will not be able to see it next time you want to open a file through BTP, because it filters only for certain extensions. I am not sure if this is what you did the first time, accidently.

The temporary solution is to make sure that when saving, it has a BTP extension (as you already have figured out).

The real solution is for BTP to make a check for an extension on the filename you put in, and if there is not a correct one, to concatenate a ".btp" onto it, so as to make it pass the extension filter next time you want to open a file.

Onto the next subject, the "Save" under the File menu is always greyed out. It is ok, because i can still save via "Save As".

All of these comments are based on Rel14 (WinXP).

cheers!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

bzwrxbz wrote:If you go to "Save As", and you type in a filename that DOES NOT have an extension on it, it will not put an extension on it, and it will be saved exactly as you type it. Then, you will not be able to see it next time you want to open a file through BTP, ... snip
I think you are correct in your suggested fix of having BTP append an extension on any file name that doesn't have one, but I want to also qualify what you said (if I may) to clarify the symptoms of what is happening; if I happen to have made a change in the first field (unlabeled, but obviously 'name of beer') on the sessions screen before attempting a "Save As", then in that case BTP DOES append an extension automatically ... UNLESS I also try to change the name on the "Save As" screen. I hope I just made myself clear.
Onto the next subject, the "Save" under the File menu is always greyed out. It is ok, because i can still save via "Save As".
I'm not having that problem; on my computer, "Save" remains greyed out until I make some sort of a change someplace on the screen -- name, amounts, etc. -- at which time "Save" darkens and is functional. Try making a change to see if it makes a difference.
All of these comments are based on Rel14 (WinXP).
Same here.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

billvelek...

You are correct about the "Save" being greyed out, vs not greyed out. When a change is made, it becomes enables again. It is nice to have the logic to tell me whether changes have been made, but at the same time i am paranoid and just want to save... I think most programs have "Save" always enables regardless of whether changes were made to the document or not.

As far as "Save As" is concerned, i am talking about a behind the scenes extension addition to the filename one types in. For example, I do not necessarily want to have the file name be the same as the title, so i will type in "TestRecipe1"..., and expect it to add the extension for me (ala Microsoft Word, and other progs)

now, in the code, it can make a quick check for a ".btp" extension, and if it is not there, it can add it. This would take all of two lines of code, to make this addition... and I am sure we will see it soon :D

cheers!