batch sparging question

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

batch sparging question

Postby BZEIGLER » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:42 am

Can someone point me to step by step directions to set up a batch sparge on BeerTools Pro. I've done a search, and read the information I found, but it's not clicking.

My usual process is to heat up the water(+/-165 F.), add the grain and water to a cooler to get +/- 153 F, and then wait an hour. I then add the required water to bring my runoff to half the desired wort and drain. I then add the remaining water at +/- 180 F and rest for 15 min, then drain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
BZEIGLER
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:35 am

Postby slothrob » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:16 am

This feature is in active development. I had a Schedule worked out for v.1.0.6 and earlier, am now working with 1.0.7 and have it working, but this feature is predicted to be updated again, soon.

You can use the Strike Temperature Calculator in the menubar, under calculators, if you want a simple interim solution, or you can set up a batch sparge Schedule with the understanding that you may want to redo it when you upgrade to future revisions.

To get started, in 1.0.7, first you need to enter a recipe into the Ingredients section.
Then, go to the Schedule section, go to "New" and set up a Mash In step, hit "Edit" to set this up for your mash conditions.
Then add a Rest step with the "New" button, setting your mash time to 60 minutes.
Then, set up an Infusion step, this will serve as your Mash Out, where you bring your mash to half volume, so set the conditions to your specifications through the "Edit" button.
Then add a Separation step. In the Separation step, click the + to get a second sparge step. Set the first "sparge" to 0 volume in, this will serve as your first runnings. Set the second sparge to your actual sparge volume. You can play around with the boil volume and lock button to automate some of this.

That's the basic outline.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
User avatar
slothrob
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Greater Boston

Postby BZEIGLER » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:54 am

Thanks. that makes sense.

I think.
BZEIGLER
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:35 am

Postby slothrob » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Well, it should get you started. Come back and ask questions if you get stuck and someone should chime in with some help. Once you get past the initial set-up, just playing around with the numbers a bit will help you figure out what's going on and how the different values are linked.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
User avatar
slothrob
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Greater Boston

Separation step

Postby jeff » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:04 pm

slothrob wrote:Well, it should get you started. Come back and ask questions if you get stuck and someone should chime in with some help. Once you get past the initial set-up, just playing around with the numbers a bit will help you figure out what's going on and how the different values are linked.


I've been working on the separation step quite a bit in the last few days. I have added a runoff and residual box for each sparge so these can be set individually. I am still wiring the thing together; it has become quite complex codewise. Hopefully it will feel more intuitive than the old method yet offer the same flexibility.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Version 1.0.9

Postby jeff » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:01 am

The separation step and the schedule as a whole have received a lot of attention in the latest update. Hopefully most of the issues and requests have been addressed. I feel that it is more intuitive, clearer and more informative. The major changes include the new runoff and residual fields for each sparge in the sparge editor, the separation step itemized in the schedule list, and general enhancement of calculation between dependent values. Also, you will notice red text in fields containing values out of the normal range. This helps to identify trouble areas fast. This concept is carried over to the schedule list itself with red rows showing steps with hidden troubles.

Hopefully the batch sparge capabilities are getting easier and more intuitive. Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Version 9

Postby Beer Snob » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:02 pm

Just downloaded 9:) I played with the seperation and it actually looks like it worked for me. This is saying something. I have not been sleeping (I have sleep apnea) and last Tuesday my cardiac defib unit went off. If I can vaugly do this, it has to be easy.

Two things I noticed. You can't change the name of the steps. The program names them sparge and sparge#2... guessing it will go sparge#3 and so on.

When you set the temp and go back to the schedual you find that the temp you set was not the final temp that you are shooting for, but the starting temp. For instance... I set the temp to 168 and when I went to the schedual, the temp said 162. This works diffeent when you add an infusion. The put in the temp you want and the program tells you what temp water you need.
User avatar
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:42 am

Re: Version 9

Postby jeff » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:37 pm

Beer Snob wrote:Two things I noticed. You can't change the name of the steps. The program names them sparge and sparge#2... guessing it will go sparge#3 and so on.


That one sounds like a bug, I'll check it out.

Beer Snob wrote:When you set the temp and go back to the schedual you find that the temp you set was not the final temp that you are shooting for, but the starting temp. For instance... I set the temp to 168 and when I went to the schedual, the temp said 162. This works diffeent when you add an infusion. The put in the temp you want and the program tells you what temp water you need.


The reason for the temp drop in the schedule list is the thermal mass of the collection vessel at room temp cooling the runoff.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Re: Version 9

Postby Beer Snob » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:48 pm

jeff wrote:That one sounds like a bug, I'll check it out.


A bug....

A BUG! :(

I HATE BUGS! :shock:

Especially those cockroach looking ones with the tanticles crawling on the wall that you gotta squish... and you hear a crack even when your partially Deaf so you know it had to be loud.... :mrgreen:
User avatar
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:42 am

Re: Version 9

Postby jeff » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:34 pm

Beer Snob wrote:Especially those cockroach looking ones with the tanticles crawling on the wall that you gotta squish... and you hear a crack even when your partially Deaf so you know it had to be loud.... :mrgreen:


Fortunately I have plenty of Raid on hand :wink:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Re: Version 9

Postby Beer Snob » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:50 pm

jeff wrote:
Beer Snob wrote:Especially those cockroach looking ones with the tanticles crawling on the wall that you gotta squish... and you hear a crack even when your partially Deaf so you know it had to be loud.... :mrgreen:


Fortunately I have plenty of Raid on hand :wink:


Raid?.... don't ever move to NY.... that just pisses them off :P
User avatar
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:42 am

Re: Version 9

Postby jeff » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Beer Snob wrote:Raid?.... don't ever move to NY.... that just pisses them off :P


You haven't seen bugs until you move south! I moved to SC from CT. NY bugs may be tough, but SC bugs are big! I've gotten used to the heat, but I don't think I will ever adjust to the bugs. :shock:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC


Return to BeerTools Pro General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron