Beer Tools Analysis Tab Questions

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
mcginnis842
Light Lager
Light Lager

Beer Tools Analysis Tab Questions

Post by mcginnis842 »

I've entered my recipe for a batch I did and I have an OG and FG for the batch and I'm trying to enter those values in to the analysis tab at the bottom of Beertools and it will let me change the TG reading but not the OG reading. How come it won't let me enter in the real OG reading for my batch?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Beer Tools Analysis Tab Questions

Post by jeff »

mcginnis842 wrote:I've entered my recipe for a batch I did and I have an OG and FG for the batch and I'm trying to enter those values in to the analysis tab at the bottom of Beertools and it will let me change the TG reading but not the OG reading. How come it won't let me enter in the real OG reading for my batch?
It may be that your recipe is an extract recipe. Original gravity depends on efficiency, and extract recipes are not affected by efficiency. Changing the OG reading in the analysis tab causes efficiency to be recalculated; and if there are no efficiency dependent ingredients, the calculation algorithm can't resolve the correction.

If the recipe is not an extract recipe, then we might have a bug. :oops:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
mcginnis842
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mcginnis842 »

It's extract recipe. Thanks anyways.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Extract recipes

Post by jeff »

mcginnis842 wrote:It's extract recipe. Thanks anyways.
I would like to eventually make this automatic, but you can correct your gravity reading by editing your extract's 'Potential Extract' value in the extract editor. Raising or lowering this value will proportionally raise or lower your predicted original gravity. You can access this editor by double-clicking on the ingredient in the list, right-clicking the ingredient, or selecting it and clicking 'Edit'.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
mcginnis842
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mcginnis842 »

Thanks. I wondering how to get a correct value without skewing the numbers.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

mcginnis842 wrote:Thanks. I wondering how to get a correct value without skewing the numbers.
The other value you can adjust is your final volume. Final volume is inversely proportional to orginal gravity; so increasing final volume will decrease original gravity. Sometimes slightly inaccurate final volume measurements can result in incorrect original gravity predictions.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff