Does this make sense?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager

Dry Hop

Post by Beer Snob »

Question about dry hoping... this might be cross threaded. I have 0.5 ounce of cascade that is dry hoped in the brew I'm making tomorrow. When I increase the amount the bitterness goes down. Is this the way dry hoping works or is it the program?
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Grain Adsorption

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

slothrob wrote:
Beer Snob wrote:How do you account for grain absorption in Beer Tools?
If you are in the Schedule part of the program (as opposed to the strike calculator from the menu bar), you highlight the MashIn step, hit Edit (or double click), and a popup window appears in which you can edit the grain absorbtion.
Thanks, but which field would I edit? I'm not seeing anything that looks like it's addressing grain adsorbtion. Actually, I don't need to edit the amount of adsorbtion because the default setting is what I experience on my system . I just want a field that shows how much water was adsorbed by the grain so I can account for it.
slothrob wrote:I also would like the option to automatically equalize the volumes from the runnings. Ideally this would (when selected) automatically adjust the Mashout volume (within the limits of my mash tun) or Batch Sparge volume or warn me if I wasn't going to hit my Boil volume without adding a second Sparge.

I think the option of a dedicated batch sparge step would make the scheduler more intuitive for a lot of people. I also need to start telling people, who don't want the complexity of setting up a schedule, about the Strike Temperature calculator in the menu bar.
I agree. Both are excellent ideas.
slothrob

Re: Grain Adsorption

Post by slothrob »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Thanks, but which field would I edit? I'm not seeing anything that looks like it's addressing grain adsorbtion. Actually, I don't need to edit the amount of adsorbtion because the default setting is what I experience on my system . I just want a field that shows how much water was adsorbed by the grain so I can account for it.
Sorry, Greybeard, I was wrong about this. I was trying to answer the question without the program in front of me and I misremembered.

The way I deal with knowing how much water will be absorbed (or, more importantly how much I'll get from the first runnings) is to add a Collection step after the Mashin and Rest (or after the Mashout if the schedule has one). In this Collection step I enter "0" for the Sparge Volume and it displays the Runoff volume in the Edit window and in the Schedule window under Final Volume.

Hint: Be careful with the Residual Volume field. It will need to be set to "0" or the void volume of your tun.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

No problem, slothrob!

Your suggestion for accounting for adsorption is a good one. I tried it and it does work. Just to verify I ran the numbers through ProMash and got the same result. Thanks for the help!
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

The scheduler has been working great for me, too. It's been virtually spot on at predicting my total runoff.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Grain Absorption

Post by jeff »

andrewqld wrote:So this is not adjustable Jeff? I would like to be able to set it at 1.1l/kg if that's possible as this is the amount I have always used and seems to suite my volume into fermenter better.
cheers Andrew
Version 1.0.4 is available now. The preferences window provides boxes for setting malt absorption rate and specific volume of malt.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
docbee
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by docbee »

jeff wrote:
andrewqld wrote:So this is not adjustable Jeff? I would like to be able to set it at 1.1l/kg if that's possible as this is the amount I have always used and seems to suite my volume into fermenter better.
cheers Andrew
Version 1.0.4 is available now. The preferences window provides boxes for setting malt absorption rate and specific volume of malt.
What are the original settings for both these fields. I think I messed up on them and now my final volumes in the schedule are way out of wack???
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

docbee wrote:What are the original settings for both these fields. I think I messed up on them and now my final volumes in the schedule are way out of wack???
Specific volume of malt is 0.75 L/kg and malt absorption is 1.0 L/kg.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Batch Sparge Take 2

Post by jeff »

Well, version 1.0.7 presents a new way to set up sparges. Batch sparges can be created using one editor, instead of the consecutive 'Collect' steps used previously. You will notice that 'Collect' has been entirely removed and replaced with 'Separation' in the menus. The Separation editor allows multiple sparges and these can be worked with simultaneously. The Separation step does not work like the old 'Collect' step did when stacking them up in the schedule, so it will be necessary to break this habit. I think the new way will work out better though. Thanks for the feedback!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff