Why no trial version???

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

Would you be more likely to purchase if there were a trial version?

Yes
71%
No, I'll buy anyway.
29%

Total votes: 28

pmonroe

Why no trial version???

Post by pmonroe »

Why would you not provide a trial version?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think $25 is much money - but I'm not going to spend it until I KNOW I like the program.
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

I like the idea of a trial version

Post by Steve973 »

I posted something about this before. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the look of the software, and the ideas behind it, but I want to "try before I buy". It'd really only take me a few minutes to make sure it's what I want.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: I like the idea of a trial version

Post by jeff »

Steve973 wrote:I posted something about this before. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the look of the software, and the ideas behind it, but I want to "try before I buy". It'd really only take me a few minutes to make sure it's what I want.
Understood. We are reviewing possibilities on this topic. Thanks for your patience.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Adeptus
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Adeptus »

As a new member I'd like to add my 2c :)

The site and the online tools are great, and that bodes well for the sofware, but it would be nice to be able to try before I buy. I'm currently trialling ProMash (awful interface and too "bitty") and BeerSmith (which I quite like so far, clean and seems comprehensive), but the screenshots of BTP make it very tempting looking! But like the OP said, I'd rather give it a test run before investing. Simple things like how it handles units - seamless conversion between SRM and ECU for example, something that ProMash isn't so good at. Not a big deal as I can add ingredients and convert the ECU to SRM manually, but I'm lazy ;).

Thanks for the great site though!
boss brew

Post by boss brew »

I'm a Promash user, and am seriously considering BTP, but probably won't buy without a trial to test. Just my 2c
Dave
Dale Hair
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dale Hair »

I'm a linux user and would not buy without being sure it runs well under wine. I have read that another user has installed it with some tweaking but I am very skeptical that new windows software will run well if at all with wine.

If I were to buy the windows version and a Linux version were to become available would I have to pay full price for it? If so would I be able to sell my windows version.
Cregar

Post by Cregar »

I know you have been busy putting out minor updates to the software, but I was wondering if you had a chance on working on setting up a demo version? I am planning on purchasing something within the next week or so and would really like to try your software out.

Thanks for your time.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Dale Hair wrote:If I were to buy the windows version and a Linux version were to become available would I have to pay full price for it? If so would I be able to sell my windows version.
We would transfer your license to Linux if you wanted to switch over.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

I usually read about 3 homebrew forums, and I've found that many people is interested in BTP but would like to try the software before they buy. Some even say they wouldn't buy the software until they try it.

Is it really that difficult to publish a trial version? I already bought the software for my ibook and it works wonderful... I'm sure that many would buy the program once they have tried it.

Hope to decide to put a trial version so BTP be used by more homebreswers.
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Steve973 »

I bought it about a month ago, and I've been pleased. I was going to wait for a trial version, but my impatience got the better of me. I used to use ProMash, and it did the job, but since I've gotten used to BTP, I don't have as good of an impression of ProMash anymore, and I find the interface to be a little less polished. I really like the amount of updates that the developers are putting into BTP, and that's something you definitely don't see in ProMash. I wonder if the developers of ProMash have forgotten about their software?

Keep up with the good work, guys. Your obvious dedication to the product and your attentiveness to the forums will go a long way.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

steve don't forget that promash had updates in the past and now runs stable with no bugs that I was ever aware of. Also rumor has it that they are slowly working on a new version.

Later,
jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

steve don't forget that promash had updates in the past and now runs stable with no bugs that I was ever aware of. Also rumor has it that they are slowly working on a new version.

Agree with you Jaw. Promash is a very stable and finished product, therefore it doesn't require corrections and constant update. The only thing I dislike of promash is the interface (wich is subjetive) and that there is not a MacOS version. Otherwise, a great software.
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

One bug that I notice

Post by Steve973 »

I know this isn't a ProMash forum, but I do notice occasional bugs, and one that I notice pretty frequently is that if I am specifying a mash schedule, and set a three digit number for the temperature fields and then click okay, if I go back into the mash schedule, sometimes it truncates the third digit. For example, if I specify 170 for the sparge temperature and then hit OK to close the mash schedule screen, then go back into the mash schedule screen, it often says 17 as the temperature.
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

Jeff/Lathe,

Hey guys. I've been plugging BTP on various online forums and I've been told by several prospective purchasers that they just don't want to buy the software unless they can have the opportunity to try it first. Any chance you've gotten closer to releasing a trial version?
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Trial

Post by jeff »

TCBrewguy wrote:Jeff/Lathe,

Hey guys. I've been plugging BTP on various online forums and I've been told by several prospective purchasers that they just don't want to buy the software unless they can have the opportunity to try it first. Any chance you've gotten closer to releasing a trial version?
Thanks for talking it up! Once we are confident all of the issues are worked out, we will feel more comfortable offering a trial of BTP.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff